Monday, February 18, 2013
Mom Was Right: Eating Veggies Is Good For Us!
Roses.
Mothers.
Petals.
Velvet memories.
A touch and scent,
lingering.
©09-06-12
Clara B. Ray
Although Mama had been sick for about 10 years, the phone call on New Year's Day in
2009, was still a surreal moment. My sister Mary's voice was mixed with a strange blend of
sadness and joy. The joy coming from knowing that years of suffering had ended, and her
grief evident as her voice broke in her next words, "Mama is gone."
I miss Mom daily—with small things reminding me of the lessons she tried to instill in
us. "Ya'll ought to fill up on vegetables, and not all those fried potatoes." I can
hear those words even now! I smiled today while fixing lunch of spinach, green beans,
carrots, and a boneless, skinless baked chicken breast.
Ten years ago I finally took Mama's advice and replaced 'fried potatoes' with broccoli.
It was the single most important factor in the resulting 110 pounds I lost over the next
decade.
One cup of chopped broccoli has 25 calories, compared to about 245 calories in one cup of
fried potatoes. When eaten twice a day in the form of french fries or good old fashioned
home fried potatoes, the difference is staggering: 440 calories more per day. Proof positive
that our parents were right after all: Eating veggies really is good for us. Thanks Mama!
©02-18-13
Clara B. Ray
Clara B. Ray Poetry. Written To Inspire!
http://www.clarabpoetry.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That's so inspiring! Do you have any ultimate goals for your fitness or health?
ReplyDeleteHi Jennifer & thanks for reading! Yes, I have three ultimate goals. First to lose 15 more pounds and reach 125, which is 1/2 of my original weight ten years ago.
DeleteNext, I am going to expand my healthy eating knowledge to include why & not just what. I have long ago began the healthier eating route to maintain my weight loss.
Last, I am going to work with my son, who is a fitness buff, with plans to become a personal trainer, after Air Force-- on small weights. I need some definition & toning, and more so as I get older. My son is into Natural Only Body Building Competitions, and has intrigued me by what he eats in regards to strength building.
Thanks again for reading & commenting. How encouraging!