Monday, February 18, 2013
Balancing The Scales: Writing Off The Last 15 Pounds!
Over the last 10 years, I've lost 110 pounds—only 15 more to go to reach 125 lbs—half of my starting weight of 250. It has been both a long journey and a learning experience for me. A journey successful through small changes in diet and exercise, and then—more small changes in diet and exercise! Each change produced continuous, although extremely slow, weight loss. Yes. Slowly, but surely, without surgery or diet pills—the numbers on the scales dropped lower and lower.
For a while, after getting down to those last 15 pounds, I was stuck at 140! I knew my rate of
weight loss was slow, but I've always insisted on seeing some weight loss during the month—regardless of the amount. I couldn't understand why that magical number of 139.8 was being so elusive!
For me, it's been necessary to re-adjust my calories/exercise ratio periodically, but I had done so
recently to this daily routine: 1,600 calories with 50 minutes on the treadmill on weekdays and 20 minutes on the weekends. And the scales had been consistently showing results of .04 lbs loss per month. So, what was the problem? Was I gaining? No. But, my goal is weight loss.
Finally, I had a moment of enlightenment, and I put it all together. I was writing poetry again. The extra periods of inactivity had "unbalanced" my calories/exercise ratio, and I needed a little more activity to spark my metabolism.
As a poet and author, I spend a lot of time working at my computer. I'm sure this is true for most writers. I love it! To me, writing is not a chore, but something I cherish doing. So writing was not the problem. It was simply time for me to find a new balance between writing and physical activity that would produce weight loss.
The solution has been simple. I get up from my computer and walk around the room, thinking about my poem and trying to find the right word or the right rhythm—as I walk. Keeping an eye on the clock, I make sure this is done for at least 30 minutes total throughout the day. It has been just what was needed! For the last two weeks, the scales are moving down again to 139.8 and less.
And once again, I'm writing off the last few pounds—on my way down to 125—which is one-half
of my original weight.
©02-11-13
Clara B. Ray
Clara B. Ray Poetry. Written To Inspire!
http://www.clarabpoetry.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment