Friday, March 15, 2013

Balancing The Scales: 10 Years To Lose 110 Lbs? Why?





Since 2003, my bathroom scales have continued to show lower and lower numbers. It's
a good feeling. In my last blog, I talked about the multi-trauma car accident that left me
comatose for almost a month, and subsequently with a weight gain of 80 pounds. With
one small diet change, I began the journey to losing those 80 pounds plus 30 more.


Ten years is a long time, admittedly. What took so long? What was I doing during those
years that can justify that length of time? Simply stated, I was enjoying life. The car
accident left me a very different person, both physically and mentally. I now know the
necessity of enjoying life and the people in it—while I can.


It's been ten years of adding new small changes regularly. Initially, my only rules were: 

Weighing twice monthly, and showing no weight gain. Weight loss was optional, but weight 
gain was not. It was a good rule of thumb that enabled me to enjoy all the major moments 
of life, while not gaining weight.


Holidays, graduation dinners for my children, welcome home gatherings for family
members in the military, and birthday parties & cake. Going to the movies with my
grandchildren—buttered popcorn included! 



Bridal showers, baby showers, and going to lunch with co-workers. I lived those moments with 
the people I cared about, and I didn't gain any weight. (The only exception being in 2009-2010. 
I gained 17 pounds with a little help from steroid prescriptions for a debilitating sinus infection, 
and by overeating comfort food as a coping mechanism for unexpected deaths and loss of loved 
ones. Since then, I've adopted a no-excuse rule for weight gain). In fact, ten years later, I weighed 
110 pounds less!

©03-15-13
Clara B. Ray



Clara B. Ray Poetry. Written To Inspire!
http://www.clarabpoetry.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment